Friday, August 21, 2009

Express BBQ NYC













I was in downtown Manhattan for a meeting and noticed a new joint had opened on the corner of Church Street & Park Place (2 blocks from the Word Trade Center Site) It was 9:30 in the morning and it was open for business. I went to my meeting. At about 10:30 on my way over to subway curiosity got the best of me. I went in for a menu. The guy behind the counter was the owner. I asked if the meats were smoked. The owner replied that they were but at another location and delivered daily. I looked at the menu and decided that I would sample the cheapest item on the menu. They had BBQ wraps for $3.99 where you could choose either chicken, pork, or brisket. I asked for a combo of brisket and pork. He asked if i wanted lettuce tomato and cheese on it. I replied to make it plain with a little sauce . He proceeded to make the wrap taking the meets from small metal pans behind the counter. The meat was all cold in these little pans. He then proceeds to bring the wrap over to a microwave. I really thought I was in trouble at that point. The wrap was huge and had plenty of meat in it. I then unraveled the wrap and studied the meat. The brisket was cubed into little 1/4" x 3/4" strips. The pork was shredded. Smoke ring was visible on all of the meats and it had a nice aroma of smoke . When i requested " a little sauce" i guess he was still in wrap making mode and put thousand island dressing on it. ??? I guess I should been more specific and asked for "bbq" sauce. My first bite was a hesitant one. I took a bite and you would never believe it, it was good! The meat was a tad dry but considering it was held cold and microwaved wasn't to bad. The thousand Island dressing was a bit odd but was only on the top layer of meat.The BBQ sauce tasted like a commercial sauce that I have had before but I couldnt put my finger on what it was. The place has been open for 2 months. The owner said business has been slow but steadily picking up.

Express BBQ

(646) 861-1410
Financial District
27 Park Place
New York, NY 10007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, but I think that block is still considered Tribeca.